Thursday, May 20, 2010

DEFENDING AKER'S OPINION.

And by "defending", I mean "getting a sword and threatening people to back off".
Jason Akermanis (more commonly known as Aker, Handstand Dude or That Guy Who Got Kicked Out Of Brisbane Lions With The Blonde Hair And Brown Beard) wrote an article today saying that footballers should not come out as gay.

And this has become even more controversial in the media than that time when Aker said the footballs were shaped differently and were affecting his kicking skillz.
So, I am blogging to say, "LEAVE AKER ALONEEEE!!!111!!"

He's only stating his opinion. And homosexuality is a very touchy subject for some people, because of the church being so "ehhh, gay people aren't allowed in society" attitude.
Which I don't agree with, of course.
But I do agree with Aker.
Aker isn't being homophobic. He isn't saying he hates gay people. He's just saying he doesn't think footballers should come out of the closet.

And he backs this up with an anecdote (which is very effective).
Basically, Aker once played in a football team (not in the AFL, another league) where there was an openly gay footballer. And the team had a very good win, and were all showering together naked (as footballers do). And then, the openly gay footballer walks in, and the other footballers quickly put their towels on and walked out.
Hence, it makes an awkward situation if there's an openly gay footballer, not because the other footballers are homophobic but because it's just awkward. Especially when it's such a team sport, everyone's got to stick together, etc etc.

Showering in front of a gay man would be awkward, from a footballer's point of view.
"Is he perving on me? Should I ask him? Is it polite to ask him about his personal issues? Does he admire me?" is what the footballer would be thinking.

I think Aker is right. Open homosexuality does not belong on the football field.
Especially with Stephen Milne around.
(lol, jk, I'm sure Milne isn't homophobic, I just remember when he called Paul Licuria a "homosexual" to which Mick Malthouse replied, "You f*cking rapist!").

(I will probably lose followers over this, but whatever. I'm sticking with Aker's opinion).

2 comments:

Penguins Quack said...

I agree that he has a right to express his opinion. I don't agree with it but he can say what he wants. It wasn't a descrimatory comment and we do abide by the Freedom of Speech part of the universal Declaration of Human Rights, right? So he can say what he wants. But that doesn't mean I agree.
If you're homosexual you should be able to express yourself. Your profession shouldn't stop you.

Laura said...

Mm, yeah.
He's allowed to express his opinion, just like anyone else. :D.