Thursday, October 14, 2010

TOAD DISSECTION.

So, my lovely 18 followers who will follow me to the ends of the Earth, here's something to gross you out.

I got to dissect a toad in Biology last Wednesday.

(I was going to post some pictures, but decided not to. If you would really like to see the insides of a toad, I will post some pictures but only if this post gets at least 5 comments from 5 different people.)
(Or you can just google it yourself. Whatever. It's pretty gross.)

Anyway, the cane toad looked like a cane toad- all gross and stuff. :(.
At first, it smelt REALLY bad and I nearly had to ask for a face mask, lmao. But slowly, I got used to the smell.

I'll draw some cartoons to illustrate my experience:

The prac started at 2pm. I was freaking out, because cane toads are gross and I was so sure I would vomit all over the poor ugly toad.
The toad was placed in front of me. Panic rose from me. I HAVE TO DISSECT THIS? Eww.
Also: it smelt. BAD. :(.

Luckily, my prac partner had "experience" in these matters, and gladly took on the cutting of the toad's skin while I waved my arms in the air and acted like a freak.
My prac partner cut open the toad and we saw its massive livers and heart and fat bodies. And then, the little pink stomach (which was sort of curved and epic!) was so cute! The whole digestive system looked awesome! I was amazed at how un-gross it looked.

And there were no ovaries in this toad. Therefore, it was a BOY.

With the cane toad now christened "Mr Toad", we cut out the digestive system and looked at the nervous system. The demonstrators told us that cane toads should have 9 vertebrae, but some might be deformed and have fused vertebrae.

My joy was so obvious when I realised that Mr Toad was not a mutant! ^____^

After answering all the questions and drawing the diagrams, I started to pack up my stuff. The dissected toad lay there, and I wanted to take it home! A pet toad! My very own pet toad that I can use for dissecting! Fun!
But sadly, all good things come to an end. As the toad was placed in the bucket labelled, "Toad waste- in here", I was devastated. Mr Toad is no longer with us. His toad guts are all in the waste, heading out to the dumpster as I write this.

Mr Toad- Eulogy.
I never knew you when you were alive.
I was disgusted by your first appearance, on a waxy plate, dead.
But hate turns into love, and your guts were mighty fine to dissect and draw.
Enjoy Toad Heaven, I hope you get lots of insects to swallow whole and no one tries to dissect you.
RIP.

And yeah.
That's my Toad Dissecting Experience.
A little sarcasm and hyperbole never hurt anyone. :).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL your lab partner looks sadistically pleased when it cuts open the frog.
POOR FROG. Reminds me of E.T.

Laura said...

YES, I KNOW! I was trying to make her look really happy to be dissecting a frog (because she was) but it's the eyes that make her look evil. :/.

lol.

Steph Bowe said...

oh god oh god oh god
this is freakin hilarious

Laura said...

lol yeah.

If you like this, then you'd enjoy: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

There are many funny stories and pictures, which are better than mine. :)

Taj food said...

It is useful and get the full of information here student making a best websites and that full of information here.
best lip scrub in rawalpindi